Sunday, January 25, 2009

Roping

Eris & I attended the most awesome Midori Rope dojo a few weeks months ago. To quote Peter from Office Space "It was everything I thought it would be and more."

The great thing about this was that I already knew three of the four basic ties she taught, and one of the four body harnesses. For me, most of the drills and class were about opening my persepectives. As Midori says we often get caught up in the mechanics and forget about the atmosphere. I had been practicing different knot and all sorts of other stuff, but after I learned Midori tied one maybe two knots, I'm giving knot-tying up for Lent. Yes I know Lent is a long way away, but you can never start too early.

The second thing I got from this class was the perspective change. In many many scenes we revert to arm-to-arm, leg-to-leg types of symetric bondage and we don't open up to our imagination. Midori's focus all weekend was to get us to think in asymetries, as well as to use our environment with our bondage. During one of the speed drills, one of the couples used the chairs we were sitting on as a column to tie their partner. I was still stuck on odd body parts.

We also got to meet some wonderful kinksters. There were people, besides our instructors, who flew in for just this event; that was after they had attended Shibaricon. Meeting people into kink always opens your perspectives. There's what sells website subscriptions, and then there are the people who really make the scene thrive. Sometimes these two distinct populations intersect.

No comments: